Friday, May 7, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Some books to share -
Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
A baby bird is hatched while his mother is away. Fallen from his nest, he sets out to look for her and asks everyone he meets -- including a dog, a cow, and a plane -- "Are you my mother?" In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. 




Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch, Sheila McGraw
A young woman holds her newborn son
And looks at him lovingly.
Softly she sings to him:
"I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be"

So begins the story that has touched the hearts of millions of Americans. The book makes a great play for Mother's Day. Have each student in the class illustrate a page of the book. Create a sentence strip for each illustration and attach to the back of the drawing. Invite Mothers to the classroom to share the story with the class as each student stands to read their part while displaying their illustration (have students sit in sentence strip order of the book).
Since publication in l986, "Love You Forever" has sold more than 15 million copies in paperback and the regular hardcover edition (as well as hundreds of thousands of copies in Spanish and French).


Jin Woo by Eve Bunting The story is a simple one. David is an only child. Parents are in the process of adopting a sibling for him, a little baby brother from Korea. The only thing is David isn't as thrilled as his parents are about Jin Woo's arrival. He's even less thrilled when the baby arrives. But a special letter "written" by the baby lets David know that being a big brother is a job filled with love - from all sides.
Warm and wonderfully written and luminously illustrated in realistic watercolors, this is an excellent book for adoptive families with children already living in the home. I recommend it highly!

1 comment:

  1. Love you Forever may just be the best book to give a mother to share with her son (or daughter). I have read this book to my children countless times and struggle to do it without tears in my eyes still. I give it as a gift at every baby shower. I read it to myself around the kids' birthdays to remind me of the precious time I have with my children and the lasting bond we will always share. If you have never read it before, you will realize that you read it as much for yourself as you do for your children...and you pray that they will do the same one day! Great pick!
    Dana (mother of 2)

    ReplyDelete