Friday, July 9, 2010

Time of Wonder by Robert McCloskey

Time of Wonder 

Taken from Children's Books - This book, the Caldecott Medal winner in 1958,  set in Maine, but it is a decidedly different type of book. Time of Wonder was McCloskey's first picture book in full color. Beautiful watercolors of life on the islands in Penobscot Bay illustrate each page. Sunny weather, foggy weather, rainy weather, and a hurricane are all part of life on the islands. So, too, are boating, castle building, nature walks, and playing. The writing is lyrical and speaks very personally to the reader/listener, beginning with "Out on the islands that poke their rocky shore above the waters of Penobscot Bay, you can watch the time of the world go by, from minute to minute, hour to hour, from day to day, season to season." This is a wonderful book, one to be cherished and read, and read again by both children and adults.

3 comments:

  1. all these beach and water books- love it! I'm doing ocean inspired storytimes this week, so your tips are perfect ;) I just realized I don't have you in my sidebar- sorry about that- I'll work to fix it this week!

    Very curious about your 4th of July trip...!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert McCloskey was born in the same town where my parents were (and next to the one where I was born). My late grandmother gave me a treasury of his work at the baby shower for my oldest son. I love having that memento of her and that literary connection to my hometown.

    I love your blog and look forward to visiting again as I have many young book-lovers at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mep for your comment. I LOVE the shower idea of the book collection. Stay tuned for more book suggestions!

    ReplyDelete